Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pre-Trip Devotions Day 1: What Does it Mean to be a Servant?



A Time for Confession and Definition
 
It's interesting (to me at least) that in my pre-trip devotions today the first thing I was asked to reflect on were those times when I have had an attitude of superiority (in myself)...especially toward others. It didn't take long to realize that every time I speak to a customer service representative who is not located in the U.S. I have a different attitude and many times that "attitude" has turned into my own sense of superiority!
  • I can be impatient. 
  • I can be condescending! 
  • I can be rude!
But wait, I have an excuse...it's not just me! Others treat me in the same manner! People have treated me rude too...I have an excuse! Those people are taking jobs from people here in the US! I have an excuse!


There is no excuse for my impatience! There is no reason for treating others in any way that degrades or shows my superiority. Jesus' words in Mark 10:43-45  speak to an attitude that I don't always have or show, especially in those times.  "Whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant..."
 
This morning's "Pre-Trip" devotion allowed me to have a time of confession to God for those times when I have not reflected the love I have been shown in Jesus' sacrifice for me. I confess that in those times my condescension, my impatience, and my rudeness have not reflected a servant's heart...."and whoever wants to be first must be a slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."


The first part of our devotion today allowed me to come face to face with those times when I don't show a servant's heart. It brought me face to face with my attitude of superiority; the antithesis of what it really means to be a servant. 


The second half of today's devotion allowed me wrestle with what it means to serve. Our concept of service is sometimes skewed to "doing something for someone else" but serving is sometimes a bit more subtle (and likely more difficult). Maybe we feel a sense of accomplishment when we finish a project, maybe even a sense of pride; how about superiority?


So if serving isn't always doing what is it? That's where my daily devotion left me... reflecting on what it might mean to serve if I wasn't "doing" something!


My prayer for our team today (and I ask you to pray the same for us) is that we (I) renew my vision for what it means to serve.


For me it began with confession and continues with seeking ways to truly being a servant.


Don K

 

No comments:

Post a Comment