Friday, January 10, 2014

Advocacy's Path - Pre-Trip Day 4

Scripture reading:  Proverbs 31:8-9 = "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Today is our last devotion before we get on a plane headed to Gulu!  As I reflected on the idea of "Advocacy's Path," during my devotions this morning, I thought it would be a good idea to look up the definition of "advocate." According to  www.dictionary.com, advocate in its verb form means "to speak or write in favor of; support or urge by argument; recommend publicly.  The noun form of "advocate" has three definitions:  1. "a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. (usually followed by of): an advocate of peace, for example.; 2. a person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor., and 3. a person who pleads the cause of another in a court of law."

As I read that an advocate is an intercessor, I immediately thought of how Jesus Christ intercedes on our behalf.  He and the Holy Spirit are the greatest intercessors/advocates anyone could possibly ask for as they intercede to the Father for me and you.  At the same time, God gives us the privilege of being advocates for other people while we are serving here on earth.  I have personally benefited from others who have been advocates on my behalf, including people that I have never met.  I think of people who advocate on behalf of children, women and the elderly who have been abused as one example.  I have also been honored to be an advocate to others in my roles as Children's Director, Women's Liaison and Stephen Minister through church.  When someone advocates for you there is a sense that you are not alone in your struggles.  Knowing you are not alone can provide a sense of peace and freedom in spite of circumstances.  Being an advocate for someone, provides a sense of empowerment, purpose and joy in knowing that another individual or group of individuals is being helped through your advocacy efforts.

Dear Jesus, I pray that our team will be willing to be advocates while in Uganda and when we return.  Please give us discernment and wisdom to know when you want us to speak on behalf of others and when we are to be silent.  Help us to know when to intercede.  Lord, we ask for Your strength, Your equipping, and Your peace as we let our lights shine while in Uganda.  We pray this for Your glory, Father.  Amen
Submitted by,
Kim G.

No comments:

Post a Comment